Anyone can throw together a country wedding. All you need are cowboy boots, wild flowers and vintage mason jars. But nothing is as chic and stylish as a Kentucky Derby Wedding! If you know anything about the Derby you know it is not just about the races, but also about the style and flair of the attendants. There is no better sport that incorporates fashion and quality! The Equestrian details are an obvious must have!
1. The venue sets the mood of your theme: Therefore choosing a country style venue such as a Farm, open field,Barn or horse stable will be essential. But remember you will have to dress up this venue quite a bit to meet Derby standards. This is where classic elegance will meet rustic chic. Silver Creek Golf Course in Sault Ste Marie is a perfect venue to for this theme. With its horse stable style open structure opening for weddings in 2016 you can do a lot with strategic draping and lighting as well as beautiful wild flowers. (Contact Jamie Henderson for further info on this up and coming venue).
2. Guest Attire: When going to a Derby Wedding the guests know it is a stately affair and fashionable hats are a requirement for the women! This is a chance for the women to appear in the finest of outfits and most lavish hats. Encourage your guests to don their most exquisite hats maybe even have a small gift for the most eye catching! This will allow everyone to share in the festive atmosphere you are trying to create.
3. Mint Julep Centerpieces: Mint Juleps (consisting of bourbon, mint and sugar syrup- a derby) are not only the traditional drink of the Derby but it is also the preferred centerpiece of any derby lover. There is no better way to continue the theme into your venue! Accent these pieces with wild flowers and branches to further cement your love of the most exciting two minutes in sports. But do not forget to dress your head table with trophy style centerpieces as you are the winner after-all!
4. Roses: Roses are a must have to incorporate in your wedding as the winning horse usually is covered with a blanket of 554 roses. And who does not want to be a winner at their wedding? You are winning the most important prize…your significant other!
5. When chair covers just won’t do!: Dark wooden style chairs like our Mahogany chairs would fit perfectly with this themed wedding. It allows you to bring the outside in while maintaining the elegance and fan fair of this particular style. You can never go wrong with Chiavari chairs!
6. Transportation: It is not just all about how your guests arrive and leave your event safely (call Driverseat Sault Ste Marie 705-998-2614 for special events transportation options) but also how they get around your venue space. If the venue space is large enough think about a vintage vehicle or horse drawn carriage or even a stationary one for photo ops if the venue isn’t big enough!
7. Non-Alcoholic Drink Option: Although everyone knows mint Julep is the traditional drink (as told above during our centerpiece segment) you should also have a refreshing non-alcohol option for your non-drinkers and kids. Nothing is as fresh and fits the southern charm like a cool glass of lemonade. Try infusing various flavours such as pink lemonade to satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
You can never go wrong with a Derby wedding!